To support safety and public health during the Covid-19 pandemic, all on-campus events are canceled until further notice.

I’ve been in Baltimore for the entirety of this semester. Don’t get me wrong, I love it and I call it home, but sometimes you just have to leave and explore a little bit, right?

I think it has to do with constant familiarity of environment and people, and of course midterms too. It’s easy to get bogged down by what you have to do, day in and day out, and it’s hard to take a step back sometimes to realize what you’re after.

I think that’s why it was so nice to change things up for once – this past fall break was an infinitely fun time, and It’s definitely helped to reorient me.


After an awesome, intentional sleep-in until 12 PM, I trekked on over to the Peabody campus to meet with my friend, Nick, to work on an arrangement for my a capella group, the Octopodes. We’re working on an arrangement of Contact High – by Allen Stone. It’s a super groovy song, but we’re still in the middle of trying to get the feel of it down. It’s for a winter concert that’s coming up on December 2nd! (I’ll write a blog soon about my a capella group and what arranging is all about, so stay tuned!)


A snippet of what an arrangement looks like.

After an *intense* buffet session at Akbar, a nearby Indian restaurant in the Mt. Vernon neighborhood, I headed on over to a chamber music rehearsal at Peabody. This semester, my saxophone teacher grouped four of us together and created a saxophone quartet – we’re currently working on a piece called July – by Michael Torke. It plays with so many tonal colors and a really distinct rhythmic groove. We’re planning to go out to nearby coffee shops and local venues to share the piece with others!


If you’re a Hopkins student, you fully take advantage of the fact that D.C. is just a 1 hour, 8 dollar train ride away.


A picture of the mosaic at Baltimore’s Penn Station!

So that’s exactly what a couple of friends and I did – we took the 11:05 AM MARC train to D.C., and got off at the Rosslyn station stop. Once there, we walked out into a wonderfully sunny day and 15 minutes to a cupcake shop named “Baked and Wired”.


A guide to my tummy.

Grabbing lunch on the way, we made our way to Six Flags, which is what we’d planned on coming to the D.C. area for previously.

It was absolutely ridiculous – there was a ride where you go on a rollercoaster laying on your back, and when you’re inverted upside down it feels like you’re flying through the air. Another one made use of VR Headsets and a 20-story drop that was pretty other-worldly. Because it’s close to Halloween, Six Flags is currently in its “Fright Fest” mode, where characters in costumes roam around the park and try to scare you when you’re walking from one place to the next. My friends and I got a good laugh out of it afterwards, but navigating through the park truly was frightening. 


nope nope nope


In Bio lab, we were given an “assignment” to go to the Maryland Zoo in Baltimore and take some notes on species and habitats. To be honest, it seems more of an excuse just to go and have some fun, but I’m not complaining.

I’d never been to the Maryland Zoo before, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. The park was pretty full, and there was a lot to do and see.


Penguin feeding!

Coming back at 4, I went to Octopodes rehearsal, where we were treated to drinks and dessert by one of our member’s family. The rest of rehearsal was pretty typical – we’re currently working on learning a bunch of songs for our concert, like the arrangement I’m working on right now!


An action-packed three days of break, I’d say. Now I’m left cramming for all the homework I haven’t done, but I don’t mind one bit.