It’s that magical time of year again – birds are chirping, flowers are blooming, and the scent of grass clippings and picnics float through the air. That’s right, the Spring Open-house and Overnight Program – SOHOP as we call it in the biz – is upon us. For those unaware, SOHOP is the annual admitted student event that runs every Spring, where hundreds of prospective students tour campus, visit classes, and tag along with their very own Hopkins host for a night. SOHOP is a truly unique and impactful experience, so to ensure that you can enjoy it to its fullest, I’ve put together a list of some helpful SOHOP tips and tricks (along with some entertaining an illustrative gifs).
1. Don’t forget to sign up – This one might seem simple, but when I was a perspective student, I kept the idea of SOHOP in the back of my mind as an “oh yeah that could be cool if I ever get around to signing up for it” sorta thing – and I inevitably forgot about it until it was too late. Don’t do that, SOHOP is fun.
2. Check out the student activities fair – The student activities fair, which is put on during the late afternoon the day you arrive at SOHOP, is a great way to get a sneak peek at a bunch of the groups and activities that Hopkins has to offer. I highly recommend taking the opportunity to look into clubs that you might be interested in and talk to some student representatives to get an idea of what they’re like.
3. Talk to your host! – It’s natural to be a little trepidatious around strangers, but don’t worry about bothering your host with questions or request – as a host myself, I can guarantee you that they’re there to do everything they can to make sure you have a good time. Talk to them about classes, social life, clubs, and don’t be afraid to ask for snacks or a pillow. The dorm room is your oyster!
4. Remember that your host advisor is always there to help – SOHOP advisors are specially trained students assigned to groups of host pairs. It’s highly unlikely, but if for any reason you need something that your host can’t help you with, or need to work out any logistical issues, your SOHOP host advisor should be your first stop.
5. Eat all the free food you can – One of the biggest perks of SOHOP is the plentiful food offerings, so eat at dinner, eat at the themed food events in the dorm buildings, eat at FFC late night. It’s all good and it’s all included so you would be losing money if you didn’t.
6. Have fun at night fest – Night fest is essentially a big carnival in the rec center with (you guessed it) food, games, arts and crafts, prizes, and most importantly, a bouncy house. It’s a great time, and my personal favorite part of SOHOP, so let your inner child run free and have a blast!